After the last Hobbit movie, I decided I wanted to make a Thorin Oakenshield costume to wear to the next première and possibly a convention. First, I started by grabbing a ton of reference images, like these ones.
After I gathered all of my images, I decided to pick up my fabric from Joann and the internet. I bought linen, vinyl, faux fur, and flannel. I ended up buying the pants and altering them.
I picked up a couple of patterns to make each of the layers. I find that patterns are always useful to have even if you have made several costumes.
Next I bought crepe wool and a wig. I bought the wig from a site called Amphigory. So far, I have not had too much trouble with the site and I recommend it for those looking to buy cheap, but quality synthetic wigs.
Next I molded a few pieces of armor out of clay and molded them using rubber. I then used casting resin to cast about a hundred of them and painted them and covered them in a sealant. Then I attached them to the flannel piece. I did something similar to this with the belt.
I also ended up casting ears for prosthetics.
Next I made the vambraces out of tooling leather and dyed them a dark brown.
Here is the final result!